St Mary’s Church Chorley, Lancashire
THE NARTHEX AND LADY CHAPEL
At the far end of the Narthex is the Lady Chapel, the centre piece being a fine marble statue of Our Lady.
The statue was given to the church by Mrs. Myerscough.
(We dont know which Mrs Myerscough this was)
The work was executed by Messrs. Barsanti and Sons, of Piazza de Duoma, Pisa, Italy.
It was solemnly Blessed on Sunday May 24th 1914 when the
Guild of St.Anne walked in their May Procession.
Like the statue in the Grotto, it is a representation of Our Lady of Lourdes.
Until the recent new entrance was built it was situated at the South end of the narthex, and prior to that at the right hand side of the Main Altar.
The brass rails are part of the original altar gates.
The stained glass window shows the Arms of Thomas Flynn, one time Bishop of Lancaster, and Parish priest of this parish 1934-1939.
The translation of the Latin is
‘‘IN BONDS OF CHARITY".