The name 'Myerscough' is taken from the township of Myerscough
Agnes Myerscough states '
The name MYERSCOUGH is derived from the Danish language and means boggy wood from myer-bog or muddy ground and scough –wood, probably only in wet Lancashire do trees grow in such wet conditions.
The surname Myerscough originates from only one place in England, the Hamlet of Myerscough near Preston Lancashire
The rural parish of Myerscough & Bilsborrow (being a 2003 amalgamation of the formerly separate Bilsborrow and Myerscough parishes) lies in the north west of Lancashire, in between the city of Lancaster to the north, the Forest of Bowland to the east, the city of Preston to the south and Blackpool to the west.
It comprises the historic townships of Myerscough and Bilsborrow, Brock and the western fringe of Barton Village.
The Duchy of Lancaster has had important land holdings in Myerscough since 1267.
The parish has an adult population of 1248 and covers an area of 1417 hectares.
There are seventeen farms - thirteen are dairy farms, eight are part of the Duchy's Myerscough Estate.
There are Anglican and Catholic Churches in Barton, together with an Anglican Church and a Methodist Chapel in Bilsborrow.